The New England Patriots added a tight end to address their issue. This wasn’t enough, so the team added another one. Monday and Tuesday were big days for the Patriots nation.
Head coach Bill Belichick and tight end Hunter Henry agreed to a three-year deal worth $37.5 million. We all know that Henry was a long-time favorite of the Patriots head coach.
Belichick’s Patriots add the best tight end duo
The Patriots got Henry and Jonnu Smith. In other words, they snatched the two biggest free-agent targets at tight end. This is an incredible boost to the passing offense. New England had almost zero production from their tight ends in 2020.
Veteran quarterback Cam Newton is super excited. He got a one-year deal with the team and also cheered on Henry’s signing. The quarterback took to his Instagram account to deliver the big news.
Signing Henry wasn’t a big shock for the Patriots. Mike Reiss from ESPN reported that Belichick really likes the tight end.
Getting both Smith and Henry was a big move for New England. Belichick will no longer worry about the depth issue that was a problem this past season.
Evan Lazar from CLNS said Henry and Smith would work really well together.
The Patriots have the third and fourth highest-paid tight ends in the league.
Patriots won’t stop here
The team was really active in the first couple of days of free agency. Here are the lists of players who joined and left the team:
- TE Hunter Henry – 3-Year, $37.5 million
- DL Henry Anderson – 2-Year, $7 million
- WR Kendrick Bourne – 3-Year, $22.5 million, per NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport
- WR Nelson Agholor – 2-Year, $26 million
- LB Matt Judon – 4-Year, $56 million, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter
- DB Jalen Mills – 4-Year, $24 million, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter
- DT Davon Godchaux – 2-Year, up to $16 million per ESPN’s Adam Schefter
- TE Jonnu Smith – 4-Year, $50 million per ESPN’s Adam Schefter
- OT Trent Brown – Reportedly acquired via trade with the Raiders
Opt-Out Players Reportedly Returning
Per Boston Globe’s Jim McBride
- LB Dont’a Hightower
- S – Patrick Chung
- WR – Marqise Lee
- FB – Dan Vitale
- C – Najee Toran
- TE – Matt LaCosse
- RB – Brandon Bolden
- OL Joe Thuney – Signed with Kansas City Chiefs, per NFL
- S Terrence Brooks – Signed with Houston Texans, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter
- OT Marcus Cannon – Traded to the Houston Texans, per Patriots.com